New Jersey state is recommending that medical products made by a Monmouth County company be removed from shelves due to safety concerns that intravenous fluids could be tainted. The product, produced by Med Prep Consulting, could be contaminated with floating particles. Health care facilities that received this product are asked to remove them immediately. The company agreed to stop operations March 22, and the Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control are currently monitoring the issue, according to news reports.
Rich Products Corp. recently announced a recall due to the possibility of a contamination with E. coli. The Farm Rich Mini Quesadillas were recalled is well as Mini Pizza Slices, Philly Cheese Steaks, Mozzarella Bites and Market Day Mozzarella Bites. The products were produced from November 12 to November 19 and distributed across the country. The company is cooperating with the US Department of Agriculture to discover the source of the contamination. Customers can contact the company with any questions, according to news reports.
Approximately 1,100 high chairs were recalled because the opening between the tray and seat could give enough room for a child’s body to fall through, and possibly get entrapped. This could pose a serious hazard for children if they aren’t properly harnessed. Eat model high chairs are included in the recall, with a model number located on the label on the back of the high chair. “Babyhome” is printed on the leg of the high chair. Customers are urged to stop using them immediately and get in touch with BabyHome USA for a free repair kit, according to news reports.
2,000 whitewater kayaking and rafting helmets were recalled by WRSI for failling chinstraps that could lead to injury. The rafting helmets have a black chinstrap and plastic buckle with WRSI printed on the visor. They have received reports of 10 cases when chinstraps failed, none of which led to injury. Customers are asked to stop using them and get in touch with WRSI for a free replacement or refund. The product was sold March-November 2012 and certain part numbers and sizes are included in the recall, according to news reports.
Approximately 10,000 Filtrete room air purifiers are undergoing a recall because they could overheat, leading to a fire hazard. Customers are urged to have their product replaced as soon as possible. The products have two fan speeds and they plug into a wall. There have been two reported incidences involving the product as of now, none of which led to injuries. Customers are urged to un-plug the product immediately. They were made in Taiwan and sold at Ace Hardware, Amazon.com and other retail outlets across the country for about $60, according to news reports.
Monster Energy decided to re-brand its product as beverages rather than dietary supplements. They joined the American Beverage Association, and they advised that Monster sell their drinks as food products. The product will also include a label that mentions exactly how much caffeine is in each can, in an effort to be more transparent with customers. They have faced much controversy lately, especially after a 14-year-old girl died after consuming two energy drinks which contained around 480 milligrams of caffeine. Her parents filed a lawsuit against the company. And in November, an investigation was launched into 13 deaths linked to the dietary supplement 5-hour Energy.
The company which creates a dietary supplement must inform the FDA of any adverse events connected to its product, but this rule doesn’t apply to products sold as drinks or food. 20 adverse event reports were received by Monster, five of which were linked to a death. These reports don’t actually conclude whether there is a health problem with the product, and this week 18 public health experts wrote and sent a letter to the Food and Drug Administration concerning safety of energy drinks. They concluded they don’t have enough evidence that shows that high levels of caffeine in energy drinks is safe. They are linked to many health problems, especially amongst children and adolescents, according to news reports.
Monster stated they don’t advise children, pregnant women or anyone sensitive to caffeine consume their drinks, because they stimulate the central nervous system, which can raise someone’s heart rate and blood pressure. There is no caffeine limit for energy drinks at the time, and the FDA regulates caffeine in sodas at a level of .02%. Consumer Reports discovered 90 mg of caffeine in an 8-ounce can of Monster, and the drink is available in 24-ounce sizes. Food scientists say caffeine in coffee differs from that found in energy drinks because in coffee it occurs naturally. Current scientific studies are currently under review by the FDA. The FDA has not made any official recommendations about whether people should stay away from energy drinks. They caution people to consult with their doctors and avoid drinking too much caffeine if they have any medical issues, according to news reports.
There have been many cases in the United States and Australia involving children ingesting detergents packets, leading to hospitalization. They’ve experienced excessive vomiting, throat swelling, difficulty breathing, and loss of consciousness. If the product gets in their eyes, they may experience irritation or a complete loss of eyesight. There have been an increase in the number of cases over the past few months. The packets are colorful and children may mistake them for toys. They dissolve quickly in saliva. Parents are advised to keep them away from children and locked up, according to news reports.
An increasing number of children are swallowing magnets that can lead to life-threatening gastrointestinal problems. The strong magnets, made with neodymium-iron-boron are 10-20 times stronger than traditional magnets, can be easily swallowed by children. They are various sizes, from a smaller marble to the size of a pea. Before 2008, no hospital cases emerged due to the magnets, but from 2008 to last year, there have been 19 cases of children swallowing the magnets, which include the brandname Buckyball. Surgeons have to conduct a scope-guided abdominal surgery to take the magnets out of the body, according to news reports.
5,400 Ariens 920014 Snow-Throw snow blowers were recalled by Briggs & Stratton because they pose a fire hazard. The problem is caused by a carburetor-bowl nut that may cause fuel to leak. The snow blower was sold between August and September of 2012 for approximately $800-1000. The device is 24 inches wide, with a specific model number along with warranty code. Customers are urged to discontinue using the device immediately and contact the company for a free repair, according to news reports.
Around 750 four-legged stackable chairs were recalled by Oakmont. They have a metal frame and padded seat with black, blue or burgundy cushions Customers are urged to stop using them immediately and return them for a free replacement. There have three reports of leg welds breaking, with no injuries. The chairs were made in China and sold by Global Industrial Equipment. Customers can reach the company if they have any questions, but they’re urged to stop using the chairs now, according to news reports.